Thursday, June 18, 2009

How Old is Your Dog?

The other day, I overheard a couple of Parkers trying to figure out their dogs' ages in people years. We used to think that each dog year equalled 7 human years, but I think that calculation was really just an average. It was really only accurate at the end of a dog's life, not at the beginning. As one source pointed out, a dog of one year can reproduce, but a seven- year-old girl certainly can not. Apparently, it's all about hormones. So the new theory is that a one-year old dog is a teenager, about 15 years old. Still too young for having babies, of course, but physically possible.  Below is a chart I found at a site called dogyears.com. The site has no particular credibility, but the chart is the least complicated I've found and reflects the calculations I've seen at other sites. 

Thanks to this chart, I now know that in my household I've got a ball-crazed twenty-something (Muzzy just turned 2) and a cranky retiree (Roma is closing in on 14). 

Another angle I never hear is calculating one's own age in dog years. Based on this chart, your faithful blogger clocks in at about 6.33 dog years. I like that better than clinging pathetically to 39, which wasn't such a hot year anyway, as I recall. -z

Canine Age

Human Age 

2 Months

14 Months

6 Months

5 Years

8 Months

9 Years

1 Year

15 Years

2 Years

24 Years

3 Years

28 Years

4 Years

32 Years

5 Years

37 Years

6 Years

42 Years

7 Years

47 Years

8 Years

52 Years

9 Years

57 Years

10 Years

62 Years

11 Years

67 Years

12 Years

72 Years

13 Years

77 Years

14 Years

82 Years

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. I had never heard anything other than the 1:7 conversion.

    If Mindy is 24+, that makes her much more obnoxious than even I realized! I've been writing her exuberance off to her crazy teenage years. She must have skipped college and is trying to make up for a lack of learned panache with enthusiasm. Or she's just exceptionally dorky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one (It's for medium dogs only):

    They are 24 years old by the time they are 2. Every year after that is 4 additional years.

    So Tony is 40, going on 44 (if it were the 7 year rule he would be 42 going on 49). well take whatever we can get!

    ReplyDelete

Please write a comment here or e-mail me directly at busyzia@gmail.com. Thanks!