Saturday, July 18, 2009

Dog Park Smoothie

There's been a lot of talk at Dog Park lately about food and libations. It's the one pleasure left to us during these super-heated summer days, I think. A few weeks ago, one generous soul (Sugar's Michelle) started bringing a cooler of beers to Park on Fridays. (Thanks, Michelle!) Then last week, Dario & Cinzia and Johnny brought lawn chairs (which are technically not food), which immediately led to a discussion of a watermelon party. On Thursday night, we indulged. The melons were sweet and cold, and the dogs made quite a show of being omnivores. It is a tradition I hope we'll continue. 

In the meantime, I offer you this recipe for a Dog Park smoothie. (Admit it, you thought I'd be talking about something else.) Because I generally don't get home from Park until nearly ten at night these days, I need something light to eat before bed. I make this smoothie every night. It's cold, sweet, and creamy. 

What you'll need: 
  • frozen bananas 
  • frozen blueberries 
  • soy milk (or your favorite choice of milk)

How to make: 
In a blender, toss half a cup of frozen blueberries, one frozen banana, and about 1 cup of milk. (I generally don't measure; I eyeball.) Blend until thick. Eat immediately with a spoon. See? So easy.

Note: It's important to have frozen fruit, or the smoothie will be a bit thin and frothy. In summer, I buy bananas just to have them in the freezer for smoothies because they go soft so fast. 

Hint: Peel and break bananas in pieces before storing in a zip-lock bag with the air squeezed out.

Another note: Smoothie traditionalists will point out that most smoothies are made with apple juice and a scoop of plain or flavored yogurt, not milk. I find that juice smoothies are too sweet, but you are certainly welcome to try that as a variation. It really is hard to mess up a smoothie.

Enjoy!
-z

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write a comment here or e-mail me directly at busyzia@gmail.com. Thanks!